DIY: Build your own agility jumps
by doggywoof staff
For anyone who loves having your dog practice his agility, you know how pricey the equipment can be. Looking for an inexpensive way to get started or to broaden your backyard equipment collection? Here is a step-by-step way to build your own agility jumps. It’s a great way for your pup to stretch those legs!
What you will need
- Measuring tape
- 17 feet of 1 ½ PVC pipe
- (2) four-way PVC connectors
- (2) premade clip-on jump cups
- Colored tape
- (6) 1 ½ PVC caps
Measure, mark and cut your PVC pipe into the following lengths:
- (2) 2 ½ foot
- (4) 1 ½ foot
- (2) 3 foot
Take your 3-foot PVC piece and place it in the four-way connector. You should have one opening facing straight up and two on either side of your 3-foot piece.
When you are connecting the PVC to a joint, try and bang the PVC as far into the joint as possible to secure it. I do this by simply banging the newly jointed piece on the floor.
Place your 1 ½ foot pieces in the two opposite connector pieces on each side.
Place your two 2 ½ foot PVC pipes into the remaining opening of the four-way connector, forming the jump frame.
Clip your premade sliding jump cups on the 2 ½ PVC jump frame.
Place your remaining 3-foot PVC bar into place on your jump cups and enjoy!
Optional finishing touches
- Put your PVC caps on the cut ends of your jumps (the bottom support pieces and the top of your jumps)
- Use your tape to decorate in whatever color your choose
- Some people with multiple dogs also like to mark the PVC with the different heights for quick and easy changes.